If you'd like to be interviewed or have your work reviewed for the purpose of this portfolio/your portfolio/my entertainment/your entertainment, you can contact me at vobiscumchoronzon@gmail.com

Friday, August 3, 2012

Helmet [USA]

Published 14 June 2011 in BMA Magazine

Page Hamilton has been a leading figure of the alternative rock scene since HELMET’s inception in 1988. After seven studio albums, a revolving lineup of musicians, a breakup and a reunion seven years ago, Page has kept the unbiased stylistic agenda that made their music famous, but mixed it with his perpetual creative drive to create an ever-evolving band in a scene where others burn out or repeat themselves into a mockery.

Page started Helmet in 1988, and began writing in 1989. He was influenced by a whole range of music over the course of his life which affected the way he thought about and wrote music. “My influences go way back to when I was a kid, when I listened to bands like The Eagles, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. Then I got into jazz.”

Helmet’s approach to rock and roll has always been off the straight-and-narrow path. At times aggressive, inspiring, anthemic and sincere about the meaning of the lyrics, Page has found a way to connect his experiences to a style of writing that allows him an outsider’s view on his life. “Lyrics are a weird thing. For me I have to sort of step back from things to feel right about them. If you’re in a very emotional place the lyrics will suffer.” Page also says that he’s not writing currently, “because I went through another breakup and it’s still too close.” Although he’s taking a much-needed break, he’s still working with his creative side. “I constantly try to work at it,” he says, “I keep playing guitar and I read a lot of books and I live my life fully and experience things. The creative process is still what drives me.”

The band has been touring on the back of their seventh studio album Seeing Eye Dog, released September last year. They have thankfully kept their unique perspective on rock and roll along with their uncompromising attitude and so-heavy-you’re-likely-to-vomit sound. No joke. People have actually gone the chunder from an overdose of rock. In the time since Seeing Eye Dog was released, they’ve had the opportunity to play their new material to a worldwide audience. “It’s hard to say what the highlight is,” he says, “I’d have to say the shows in Germany and Europe were great. London was amazing. We did Hamburg and Stuttgart, they really stood out, as did Budapest.”

This month, they’re bringing a mix of the old and new on their tour of Australia, and not for the first time. “We’ve enjoyed it every single time we’ve been down there. This is one of our more expensive tours. We’re playing New Zealand and then a tour of the east coast, and then a show in Perth. We’re really looking forward to it.”

You can catch Helmet at ANU Bar on Thursday June 30. Tickets are available through Ticketek, for $55.95 a pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment